Tuesday, May 9 - "Dazzle" show at Central Wesleyan Church. This is for jazz band and the Have You Heard percussion group only. Rehearsal Tuesday morning at the church. Meet in the band room at 7:15 so we can load the bus/trailer and leave by 7:45. Show time Tuesday night is 8:00 p.m. Specific details regarding report times will be given in class (because I don't know them yet).
ALL OF THE PARADES BEGIN AT 2:00 P.M.
We will be at school each day dressed and ready to go by 12:45. Please allow yourselves plenty of time to arrive at school, find your uniforms, and get dressed. Students may elect to stay after school on Wednesday and Thursday until the buses leave, but I would honestly prefer that they don't. On Saturday the building will be open by noon for students to arrive and get dressed.
Lineup information can be found here:
- Wednesday: http://www.tuliptime.com/parades/volksparade-maps-info/
- Thursday: http://www.tuliptime.com/parades/kinderparade-maps-info/
- Saturday: http://www.tuliptime.com/muziekparade-maps-info/
WE SHOULD BE RETURNING TO SCHOOL BY 3:30 - 3:45 P.M. EACH OF THE THREE DAYS.
On Wednesday and Thursday the band will be meeting in the general vicinity of Columbia Avenue and 9th/10th Streets for those, such as Dutch Dancers, who need to meet us at the start of the parade. On Saturday we line up on the north side of 8th St. again, next to Pizza Hut.
- In case of inclement weather, only the Thursday parade has an option for being rescheduled to Friday. Wednesday and Saturday parades are held unless there is severe weather, in which case they are canceled without a make-up date (I don't recall this ever happening in the 30+ years of parades I've done...).
PARENTS TRANSPORTING STUDENTS PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:
If YOU are driving YOUR child and YOU are present at the end of the parade, all you need to do is find me and check out your child. If you are driving OTHER students, THOSE STUDENTS must have a permission slip on file with me stating that they may ride with you. Students may also choose to meet family members back on the parade route in the audience. I attached the electronic file to the email for this blog link, and it can also be found here - http://sites.zps.org/zhsband/parent-page.
- DUTCH DANCERS should not be considered part of the transportation stuff - I consider Dutch dancers to be "on their own" due to all of their other time and travel commitments, so they are responsible for getting themselves to and from the parades and dance venues on their own unless they tell me otherwise.
- If in doubt, fill it out! Better to have too much paperwork than too little in this situation.
- I prefer to have one sheet per parade day, but if you fill one out for all three days I will make do
ATHLETES PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:
There are several folks who are indeed missing a parade in order to participate in an athletic event. I have heard from MOST of you - please do not assume that because one person on your team is excused, that I know that you are on the same team. Special kudos to the West softball girls who have been on top of this situation for a few weeks! If I have not heard from you regarding an athletic conflict, I assume there is no problem and that you will be marching.
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL STUDENTS:
As we have discussed in class, you are representing yourselves, your band, your school, your community, and in some cases the State of Michigan. Remember that an interaction that you have with a tourist or community member may be the only one they have with Zeeland. Make a good impression!
- Your uniform is to be completely ON or completely OFF after the parade. No unzipped coats (take it off if you're too hot) or other variations of the uniform. Hats and gloves may be removed without concern.
- If you are walking back on the parade route to meet someone after the parade, make sure to walk behind the audience.
- There is to be ABSOLUTELY NO PLAYING OF INSTRUMENTS UNLESS WE ARE ALL PLAYING TOGETHER.
- Plan to transport your instruments to the parades in their cases. Uncased instruments on the buses invite damage and unnecessary temptation to play them, both of which would be bad.
- ALL BAND MEMBERS need crew-length WHITE socks. (<<I wish I could make that sentence flash and shoot lightning bolts and stuff...)
- I strongly recommend that all students wear earplugs during the parades.