Monday, September 12, 2016

Week of 9-12-16

As promised, here is the first of several probably weekly blog posts dealing with all things ZHS Band.  You can tell by the catchy title that I spend a lot of time with creative thought on these...

Here are some things for parents to be aware of for the upcoming week:

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 12  Monday night rehearsal, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m. - Stadium
Mission critical.  Vital to our success.  Absolutely necessary.  Can't live without it.  These and many other similar phrases have been going through my head (and out of my mouth toward your children's ears) the past several days.  We meet in FOUR SEPARATE class hours, meaning that our Monday rehearsals are literally the ONLY CHANCE we get to rehearse and fix things as a group.  Our Friday night time together before the game is not really a rehearsal as much as it is a review.  Please help me and the band out by making sure your child is in attendance at the stadium for these sessions.  As a new procedure this year, I reserve the right to "pull" a student from the performance if he/she misses Monday night rehearsal.  I realize that there are a few athletic events that take kids away from this, and that is different (I am working with some West coaches regarding tonight and the conflict with Meet the Teachers Night).  Students who need rides need to ask around; jobs, babysitting, etc, etc. need to be rescheduled.  We cannot afford absences.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13   Color Guard rehearsal, 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.  This session will once again be in the dance studio.  The Holland Symphony will be rehearsing in the band room.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16  East Homecoming Football
Report time to the band room will be 5:45 p.m.  Students need to locate uniform parts, get dressed, etc., and we will have a show review time before marching to the stadium at 6:30.  This performance is REQUIRED for ALL students.

Other items of interest for you:
 - I have started using the Remind app for marching band.  I am easing into this idea and will eventually expand it to either include a parent "class" or simply add parents to the band class that their child is in.  For those who don't know what Remind is, it's basically a one-way texting app that allows me to send a message to all students at once regarding reminders, schedule changes, etc.  Several of my colleagues use it and are very excited about it.  I hope to make good use of it as well.
 - If you're reading this you are already on the parent email list.  If this was forwarded to you, email me at kwalker@zps.org and I will add you to my list.
 - There is a band Facebook page.  This is more of a "see what's happening" sort of page rather than information or similar items.  I do not use that page as a communication tool except for emergency cancellations, etc.  It's a public page, so you do not need a Facebook account - https://www.facebook.com/Zeeland-High-School-Marching-Band-339133719554320/
 - We also have a Twitter account - @zhsband - that I use periodically.  Nothing terribly special to follow, but occasionally I will tweet pictures or video of class or performances.  Like Facebook, I also use Twitter for emergency schedule changes.  

  •  You may be interested in these past blog entries
    • Track Band http://zhsbands.blogspot.com/2015/08/track-band.html
    • Communication http://zhsbands.blogspot.com/2015/08/communication.html
    • I am working on one regarding band and athletics and how we resolve conflicts, etc.
That will have to do for this week.  As always, please direct questions or concerns to kwalker@zps.org