Anyway, here are some pertinent details you'll need for Memorial Day and the end of the year.
MEMORIAL DAY Parade
- DATE: Monday, May 30
- TIME: Report to Cityside MS by 8:30 a.m. - parade begins at 9:00 a.m.
- The HS BAND ROOM will be open by 7:45 a.m. for people to get uniforms and instruments.
- IN CASE OF RAIN the parade has been canceled in the past. Please pay attention to the band's website, student/parent email, Twitter, and Facebook for updates. The parade is rarely canceled before 8:00 a.m., so you will most likely already be starting your preparations for it if they do cancel. Right now the weather forecast looks good.
- Following the parade, the SYMPHONIC BAND and WIND ENSEMBLE students will proceed to the cemetery for the memorial service. We will play America the Beautiful, Battle Cry of Freedom, and the national anthem.
- Immediately after the parade the Concert Band students will return to the band room to turn in their uniforms. ALL uniform parts should be accounted for, including pants, coat, hat, and hanger. You may keep your shoes for next year.
- Immediately after the memorial service the Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble will return to the band room to turn in their uniforms, including TUXES and DRESSES.
- ***We still need parent volunteers to help collect uniforms after the parade! Go to http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d4aa5ae2babfb6-memorial to sign up.***
- SENIORS who choose not to march are expected to email Mr. Walker and let him know, though this should have been done by last week at least...
- SENIORS who choose not to march are still responsible for turning in their equipment BY MONDAY, MAY 30. This year we are not collecting donated shoes from seniors.
Other end-of-the-year items:
- School instruments MUST be returned next week for check-in and inventory. Students will be able to check out instruments for summer use after final exams.
- Band lists for next year will be posted later today (Wednesday, May 25). All three bands look great for next year. Balanced instrumentation, etc. Numbers also look good in each ensemble, although there will never be enough low brass.
- The band final exam grade will be the Memorial Day parade performance.
- Percussion Ensemble students must complete their level of "belt testing" by exam day. These may be submitted via video if desired. (I will make a Google Classroom assignment to make that easier).
- GRADUATION MUSICIANS ARE NEEDED on Wednesday and Thursday of next week. Details have been passed out in class. Please encourage your child to participate and help us out. We need about 40 people, with representation from all sections.
- COLOR GUARD auditions for 2016-17 will take place on Monday, June 6 beginning at 3:15 p.m. Current members are expected to attend and learn the tryout routine and demonstrate proficiency.
- DRUMLINE auditions for 2016-17 will take place after school on Tuesday, June 7. Current members of the HS drumline who wish to move to a different instrument must attend this audition. Audition materials were passed out in class this past Monday.
I think that takes care of everything, but I usually manage to think of one or two other items after I publish these...