This week is pretty much the "official" end of marching season - festival is Tuesday night, to be followed by the final two home games of the season the next two Fridays. Here is the info for this week; I have held it back until now to avoid confusion - the times for Tuesday are similar to what we had Saturday, and I didn't want anyone being in the wrong place at the wrong time!
Monday, October 12 - FINAL Monday night rehearsal - 6:30 - 9:00 p.m. In this 2.5-hour period we need to put all of the final details together and make sure that we are ready for Tuesday's "district finals." Please make sure your child is at rehearsal on time.
Tuesday, October 13 - MSBOA District 10 Marching Band Festival. Zeeland Stadium. Timeline:
- 6:30 p.m. Students arrive at school to dress and prepare to head to the stadium
- 7:15 p.m. proceed to stadium for warm-up
- 7:45 p.m. warm-up scheduled
- 8:30 p.m. Performance
- 9:00 p.m. Ratings announced
Please remember that this performance is the only performance all year that I expect EVERY student to "drop everything" and be here. Athletes need to adjust their game and practice schedules, etc. There will not be the usual "we will meet you there when the game is done" kind of things - the coaches and athletic directors know of this, and hopefully your children have been communicating this to their coaches; I know they are always good at communicating with me when they have an athletic conflict, so I assume they have given their coaches the same courtesy regarding this. Thanks for your cooperation.
Thursday, October 15 - Band Boosters meeting, 7:00 p.m. followed by the Mattress Sale fund raiser info meeting at 7:45. Both will be held in the band room. *We will need to give the orchestra students some room/leeway before 7 p.m. to begin their concert. They will be using the band room until 6:50 or so for their warm-up and tuning. Please arrive quietly for the 7 p.m. meeting. All parents are invited to be a part of the boosters! Thursday's discussion will center around a festival logistics recap as well as upcoming fund raisers.
Friday, October 16 - East Homecoming - This will actually be the first game that the full band (required) will be performing at an East home game! Their first two home contests were basically before school even started, so their fans haven't seen us play! What a great opportunity to show off what we've been up to so far this year.
- T-shirts are IN. Lots of students picked them up on Saturday; please send in your money ASAP and pick them up so we can reclaim the floor space outside my office! If you did a pre-order then you have a shirt waiting. If you did not pre-order, you're still in luck: we ordered several extras in each size. $10.00 per shirt. (Checks made out to ZHS Bands)
- Jackets, sweatshirts, etc. We are ordering cool weather gear again this year and adding sweatshirts to the mix. Hoodies or crew necks in charcoal grey with the ZHS Marching Band logo embroidered on the left chest. Use this link to order: http://goo.gl/forms/06mmlw8ZxE Please note: in order to get to the sweatshirt orders, you need to go to pages 2 and 3 of the form. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "next page." Orders will not be processed without payment. Please send in your payment by next Monday, October 19.
- Band Trip Parent Meeting -Scheduled for Wednesday, October 21 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium. Some final details, etc. will be discussed, as will expectations of students on the trip. I will make it brief and hold it to one hour or less.
- Playoff games. West is 7-0 and ranked #1 in the state, and East can easily make the playoffs by winning their final two games. Playoffs begin on Friday, October 30. If the team(s) is/are playing at home, there will be a band in attendance (the exception to this will be Friday, November 6 - the fall play is being performed in the auditorium, and we would not want to have the band disturbing that important performance). I realize that plans have been made prior to these dates, etc., and will say that, while attendance is still expected, I am much more understanding of absences during playoffs. The big reminder is that when a team has gone to State Finals in the past, the band is always invited along - we need to support the team prior to that as well by playing at Districts, etc. Some weeks we do Track Band, some weeks full band. I will keep everyone posted when that time arrives.
I am in the process of uploading the video from Saturday to YouTube. It looks really good! As I said on Saturday night, now that I know they can do that I can push them harder :) We still have some cleaning to do tonight, mostly spacing issues, but I think we are in pretty good shape.
Thanks for a great week. Hope to see you all on Tuesday as we perform at festival.