Every year when I was a kid, on or about July 5, my dad would say, "well, summer's over." Drove us all crazy. But in some fashion or other, summer is at least coming to the point where we have to begin thinking about what the next month will bring about. Hopefully this will help folks stay on top of things between now and band camp.
In the event that folks need to stop by to pick up a school instrument, drop off a check for the trip, or other pressing need, I will plan to be in the band office on Mondays between 9:30 and 11:30 a.m., Wednesday evenings (with drumline, so the room is open but I may not be available to chat) from 6 - 7:30, and probably Thursday afternoons between 1 and 2:30 (please call if you plan to stop on Thursday in case I am not here). My office number is 748-3130; calling before you come by on any day is probably a good idea.
- Drumline meetings/rehearsals on Wednesday evenings begin this week on July 8 at 6 p.m. All members of the drumline are expected to attend if they are in town. This week we will be assigning some parts, instruments, and equipment as well as looking at a few things musically.
- Section leaders and drum majors will be holding their annual "pre-camp" sessions beginning on Tuesday, July 28 at 9 a.m. They are aware of this, and I am aware that a few of them are out of town that week. I will send them a separate reminder email regarding this.
- Music is available on the website and has been emailed to parents on my email list. Mr. Hall will be writing the drill beginning this week.
- Band camp starts on Monday, August 3. ALL of the items that students and parents need to know for camp are posted on the band's website under the "Marching Band" link on the left sidebar. Introduction letters, permission slips, list of things to bring, etc. are all available.
As the program grows, so do our needs. The budget, however, remains pretty neutral! If you would like to contribute to any of the following things, please let me know (or simply send/drop off a check or an item on the list).
- 2 or 3 more 5 or 10-gallon water jugs for band camp. We currently have two, and with well over 200 people we will need a few more.
- a small/medium equipment cart. Something with four wheels and a platform to transport things (like the water jugs) to and from the room. Pneumatic tires are probably better than hard rubber ones, but you never know. Costco had something that was pretty cool for around $50.00 - foldable, etc.
- We were told that our plans to expand uniform storage won't work, so we need to purchase some portable uniform racks. These are $99.00 apiece, and we need 4-6 of them if you would like to donate to that fund
- We have designated some fund raising money for new color guard uniforms so that they get something new as well, but a supplement to that fund would also be welcome! Total cost per uniform is about $120, and we need about 30.
- Finally, we are also expanding the band camp professional staff this year, and they all need to be paid. Again, there is fund raising money designated, but as you can imagine it will quickly be depleted. Staff costs will be $1500.00 for camp this year.
*Any moneys donated for these items will be treated the same way as we do our usual fall patron drive; they are tax deductible, etc.