Thursday, July 30, 2015

Band Camp Final Details

SO MANY THINGS keep coming up that I thought I'd write a new blog post!  As of Wednesday afternoon the student leadership team and I had spent a great couple of days together preparing to greet and teach students next week.  I am looking forward to another productive camp!

Hopefully this post will answer any remaining questions (a few of you have asked about things that I didn't think about, so thank you) and clear up any other issues still out there (like why the music may not download properly).

So in somewhat chronological order, here are the things you need to know before next Monday:

STUDENT EMAIL PASSWORDS have been changed.  But someone let me know how to do the new ones, so here is the formula: 
   User name is still <studentnumber>@stu.zps.org
   Passwords have been changed to 
      - First three letters of birth month (first one is capitalized)
      - birth day (no "0" for 1-9 digits)
      - birth year
SO...  Mine would be Jul311964

I still don't have access to Infinite Campus for the upcoming year, so there are many things I can't do right now with student lists, email, etc.  Please share this information with your kids.

MUSIC There will be a few copies available for those still having difficulty with the download.  I will also attach the zip files to a parent email again.  The trick that seems to work for about 90% of people is to click on the download arrow on the right side of the page rather than on the title of the file.  I still don't know why, nor do I know why this is different than all of the other links I've posted.

TRAFFIC There will be lots of it each morning and afternoon.  I have asked that a few of our section leaders be out in the lot to assist you as you drive in to drop off and pick up each day, but the plan is to keep the traffic flowing counter-clockwise.  Please drive in to the bus circle area - the driveway closer to West, between East and the soccer field - and drop off/pick up in that direction.  That puts the passenger doors opening toward the building and not into traffic, and prevents tie-ups in the narrow driveways.  Please do NOT use the driveway at the northeast corner of the building - that will be "exit only" for the week.  We also ask for your patience with children and other drivers as things get crowded and hectic, especially at the end of the day.

Speaking of picking up and dropping off, it's been asked if that will happen at the stadium or at the school.  Dropping off will always happen at school.  For picking up, my answer is probably "both," but with one stipulation: if you plan to pick up your child at the stadium, please do not follow that up with bringing him/her back to school.  This will help the traffic at school.  My guess is that most children will want to be picked up at school due to putting away equipment and that sort of thing.

TIME.  This one is going to be tough next week.  And many of you may become frustrated with me, but I am willing to risk it.  Our dismissal time is 5 p.m.  That means from wherever we are at 5 p.m., which will probably be the stadium.  Which means that by the time 235 band members walk back to school and put stuff away, it will be well after 5 p.m.  When we are at the field next to the building this is not a big deal, and when we do Monday evening rehearsals I release from the stadium before 9 p.m. when possible.  But being at the stadium will eat away some rehearsal time, so I can't necessarily get kids back to the building at 5 p.m.  They're dismissed at 5.  Thanks for understanding!

PARENT MEETING  The parent meeting on Thursday, August 6 will be in DeWitt Auditorium at 7 p.m.  We will talk about "how to be a HS band parent" sort of thing, including the best way to contact me, where to find information about band events, class policies, etc. 

SENIOR MEETING  Will take place this Sunday at 1:30 p.m.  This meeting is optional and will cover just some basic senior topics as well as a hanging out and reminiscing time!  Tell them to feel free to bring a snack or drink.  Should last about an hour.

CAMP SUPPLIES  I think we are all set with water jugs, tent canopies, and all the stuff we need for next week.  The team rooms will be open for kids to use if necessary, which are cooler than being outside.  Again, please make sure your students come well-prepared with water, sunscreen, hats, etc. 

I think that should take care of it.  Feel free to email me if I've missed anything!

KW