Memorial Day and graduations are approaching; here is what you need to know:
MEMORIAL DAY Parade
- DATE: Monday, May 28
- TIME: Report to Cityside MS by 8:30 a.m. - parade begins at 9:00 a.m.
- The HS BAND ROOM will be open by 7:45 a.m. for people to get uniforms and instruments.
- IN CASE OF RAIN the parade has been canceled in the past. Please pay attention to the band's website, student/parent email, Twitter, and Facebook for updates. The parade is rarely canceled before 8:00 a.m., so you will most likely already be starting your preparations for it if they do cancel. Right now the weather forecast looks OK, but no promises.
- Following the parade, the SYMPHONIC BAND and WIND ENSEMBLE students will proceed to the cemetery for the memorial service. We will play America the Beautiful, Battle Cry of Freedom, and the national anthem.
- Immediately after the parade all Concert Band students will return to the band room to turn in their uniforms. ALL uniform parts should be accounted for, including pants, coat, hat, and hanger. You may keep your shoes for next year - please take them home.
- Immediately after the cemetery service the Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble will return to the band room to turn in their uniforms, including TUXES and DRESSES.
- SENIORS who choose not to march are expected to email Mr. Walker and let him know, though this should have been done by last week at least...
- SENIORS who choose not to march are still responsible for turning in their equipment BY MONDAY, MAY 28. This year we are not collecting donated shoes from seniors.
GRADUATION ceremonies are Wednesday, May 30 and Thursday, May 31.
- Wednesday, May 30 - EAST HS. The Symphonic Band will be performing on Wednesday for East.
- Thursday, May 31 - WEST HS. The Concert Band will be performing on Thursday for West.
- Students should plan to park at the band lot (it's officially up to you, but that will be easier in the long run) and walking to the stadium. Please be at the stadium by 6:40. Commencement begins at 7:00. The band will play the processional and students may be dismissed (leaving quietly if at all), but may choose to remain in their seats.
- Students should wear business casual style clothing. NO t-shirts, jeans, etc. You should look nice. Ties are not a requirement.
Other end-of-the-year items:
- School instruments MUST be returned next week for check-in and inventory. Students will be able to check out instruments for summer use after final exams.
- Band lists for next year were posted on Google Classroom this week. Unfortunately there were a few errors, which I think have been corrected (most cam from the clarinet section). I've removed the posting from GC for now, but will double check again for accuracy and repost soon. All three bands look great for next year. Balanced instrumentation, etc. Numbers also look good in each ensemble, although there will never be enough tubas...
- COLOR GUARD auditions for 2018-19 will be Tuesday, June 5 in the HS band room. Current members are expected to attend and learn the tryout routine and demonstrate proficiency.
- DRUMLINE auditions for 2017-18 will take place after school on Friday, June 1. Current members of the HS drumline who wish to move to a different instrument must attend this audition. Audition materials were passed out in class a couple weeks ago.
I think that takes care of everything, but I usually manage to think of one or two other items after I publish these...